Chicken Sausage Pasta Casserole. Learn how to make Chicken sausage, mushroom and pasta casserole & see the Smartpoints value of this great recipe. It can be prepared a day or two ahead – perfect for busy weeknights. Chicken sausage, bell peppers, onions and mushrooms simmered in a marinara sauce then baked in the casserole with whole wheat macaroni topped with I love a baked pasta dish that doesn't require having to cook the pasta, why dirty an extra pot?
Chicken a la King is chicken in a cream sauce, often with mushrooms, frequently served over pasta. This casserole takes the dish to another level by adding pimientos, celery, and cheddar cheese and baking it all together under a layer of buttery breadcrumbs. The Hairy Bikers' sausage casserole is like a big hug on a cold winter's day! You can have Chicken Sausage Pasta Casserole using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Sausage Pasta Casserole
- You need 12 oz of whole wheat rotini pasta.
- Prepare 1 tsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- Prepare 2 tbls of parmesan cheese.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- Prepare 8 oz of cooked italian style chicken sausage.
- You need 1 of medium yellow pepper.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion chopped.
- It’s 1 lb of fresh mushrooms.
- Prepare 2 tbls of water.
- Prepare 4 cups of marinara sauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Warming and filling, it's the ultimate comfort food. The Hairy Bikers' take on sausage casserole makes a wonderfully warming and filling dish, and it freezes brilliantly. I often feel that vegetables get short shrift in casseroles. Either they're drenched in cream, or thrown in as an afterthought to the pasta, the rice, and the cheese.
Chicken Sausage Pasta Casserole step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray..
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain pasta and return to pot..
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, until toasted, about 4 minutes. Remove breadcrumbs to a small bowl; stir in Parmesan and oregano and set aside..
- In same skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes; remove to a plate and drain any fat from skillet..
- Add pepper and onion to skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to brown and soften, about 5 minutes..
- Add mushrooms and water to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes..
- Add vegetables, sausage and marinara sauce to pot with drained pasta; toss to coat. Spoon into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until heated through and cheese melts, about 25 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving (about 1 1/2 cups)..
A great quick little recipe that will have them coming back for seconds. The chicken can be substituted with equal amounts of sausage, hamburger, turkey, pork or tuna. You guys know my go-to dinner recipes are either casserole or crockpot meals. Most of the savory foods I've made for the blog so far have fallen into one of those two categories, and for good reason. View top rated Casserole chicken sausage recipes with ratings and reviews.