Chicken Thighs with Orzo Pasta. First you brown the chicken, then brown the orzo in the rendered fat, and then add some onions and garlic. Add the chicken back to the pasta, pour in some stock and crushed tomatoes, cover and cook until the pasta has absorbed the liquid. You can do most of the prep while the chicken is browning.
To finish this dish, just add the browned chicken thighs and sausage back into the pan and warm through. Orzo, which means "barley" in Italian and is also called risoni, is not a grain, but rather pasta that is shaped like a large grain of rice. WELCOME back to my Channel CJ's Cuisine. You can cook Chicken Thighs with Orzo Pasta using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Thighs with Orzo Pasta
- Prepare 1 tsp of Olive Oil.
- You need 1 of Medium – Large Chopped Onion.
- You need 5 of Chicken Thighs.
- You need 2 cloves of Garlic.
- You need 1 tbsp of Tomato Puree.
- It’s 1/2 pint of Chicken Stock.
- It’s 1/2 of Juice of Lemon.
- It’s 1/2 of Red Pepper.
- Prepare 400 gm of tin Chopped Tomatoes.
- Prepare 100 of gs Orzo.
- It’s of Salt.
- You need of Oregano.
Our Recipe for today is : Baked Orzo Pasta with Chicken It's a dish composed of MEAT ( either beef. Pat the thighs dry and season with oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. I've made this dish several times–with chicken AND shrimp. A quick and easy orzo / risoni pasta recipe for dinner tonight – chicken infused with Italian flavours and a rich tomato basil risoni, all made in one pot!
Chicken Thighs with Orzo Pasta instructions
- Heat oil in large frying pan, that has a lid. Add chopped onion and fry gently til soft..
- Score each piece and place in pan, skin side down. Keep moving the onions and turn thighs to colour all over, about 5-10 mins.
- Grate garlic into onions, sprinkle thighs with oregano. Continue turning thighs. Add Tomato Puree and Red Pepper. Mix Puree into onions. Squeeze lemon juice in and stir..
- Add tin Tomatoes and salt to taste and bring to boil. You can add Worcestershire Sauce now and leave out the pasta and stock. Finish as 6 below..
- Add Chicken Stock and stir into Tomatoes. Add Orzo and stir through. Bring back to boil then turn down to lowest heat to get a simmer..
- Cover and simmer for about 30mins. Stir at 15mins to stop Orzo sticking to pan. After 30mins remove lid, add Worcestershire Sauce. Continue simmering for a further 10-15 mins while sauce thickens..
Marinating the chicken is optional – you can skip it by cutting the chicken into thinner steaks. Fill out the veggies and swap the herbs for whatever takes. The thighs were excellent with very crispy skin. However, the orzo is incredibly sticky and starchy. Great flavors, but not so much on texture.