Smoked Chicken Drumsticks. Smoked chicken drumsticks could not be easier with these simple instructions. Remove drumsticks from packaging and place on a rack over a drip tray or baking sheet. Gidday, these delicious smoked drumsticks will be a hit at any event.
For this recipe, I typically use a blend of plum and hickory chips to infuse the perfect blend of sweet and savory. This post sponsored by McCormick Grill Mates. I gave some chicken drumsticks a nice coating in McCormick Grill Mates Chipotle & Roasted Garlic. You can have Smoked Chicken Drumsticks using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Smoked Chicken Drumsticks
- It’s 1 package of drumsticks (10).
- You need 1/4 cup of AP rub.
- Prepare of (1 cup salt, 1/2 cup granulated garlic, 1/4 pepper).
- It’s of BBQ Chicken Rub (see my recipe).
- You need of Wing Rub (same rub used on my smoked wings).
- Prepare of Sauces:.
- Prepare of Any kind you like, I used a trio of Buffalo, Hot BBQ and Teriyak.
Chicken drumsticks are a perfect protein for an outdoor party. The three recipes here are for drumsticks that are smoked in a Masterbuilt Smoker, either electric. Smoked chicken drumsticks might sound like something you order from a restaurant but if you are armed with your own smoker, you can prepare them at home! Making your own barbecue sauce is so easy and so delicious.
Smoked Chicken Drumsticks instructions
- Put the drumsticks, AP rub and enough water for them to be about half submerged into a zip top bag. Flip the bag every 6-8 hours and let brine at least 24 hours. A large enough vessel to completely submerge all under the water can be used if you have the room..
- After they have brined overnight pat dry and dust with the rub mixes. I did 8 with my chicken bbq rub and 2 with the wing rub for the ones I used the buffalo sauce on..
- When coated on all sides with the rub mix hang on a leg rack and let sit to get the chill off while the smoker comes to between 250°-275°..
- Let them smoke for 1-1/2 hours. Check them to see if a good color and slight crispness is set on the skin and some fat is starting to render out. If the skin is still on the light and rubbery side let them cook for another 15 – 30 minutes..
- Once the skin is dark and and the fat is starting to render coat with sauce and let cook 1/2 hour..
- Sauce again and smoke for another 15 minutes. Then let rest continuing to hang for another 15 minutes..
- Grab a couple to eat now and hold the rest back to store for other meals. If you're planning a party skip the brine but still use the AP rub as a coating before the rub. Then smoke at about 300°-350° and for about an hour less and only saucing once should be enough..
Try this smoked chicken drumsticks recipe for your dinner, lunch or any mealtime. Toss chicken drumsticks in the brown sugar rub mixture. Switch your chicken routine up and go with the bold flavors of Dennis the Prescott's Chicken Tikka Drumsticks. These bad boys take an overnight bath in a marinade before going directly on the grill. Grab yourself two dozen chicken drumsticks.