Mamma's Seafood Gumbo. To quote the regional cookbook Louisiana Entertains, "Good gumbos are like good sunsets: no two are exactly alike, and their delight lies in their variety.". My mama makes the best gumbo I have ever tasted. I haven't known anyone who didn't think this was the best!!
Stir occasionally and skim off the fat from the surface of the gumbo (moving the pot half off the burner helps collect the impurities). Chicken, Sausage & Seafood Gumbo for Christmas! (Cooking with Carolyn). Includes unsalted butter, all-purpose flour, onion, green bell pepper, shrimp stock, tomato paste, large shrimp, lump crab meat, hot sauce, file powder. You can have Mamma's Seafood Gumbo using 18 ingredients and 30 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mamma's Seafood Gumbo
- Prepare 5 sticks of celery.
- You need 1 of bell pepper.
- It’s 1 of yellow onion.
- Prepare 1 packages of Chappell Hill sausage.
- It’s 4 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 lbs of shrimp.
- Prepare 3 lbs of gumbo crabs.
- It’s 12 oz of crawfish tails.
- You need 1/2 cup of flour.
- You need 6 of chicken thighs.
- It’s 3 of chicken bouillon cubes.
- You need 7 tbsp of gumbo filé.
- You need of garlic powder.
- Prepare of chicken rub.
- It’s 1 jar of bay leaves.
- You need of regular salt.
- Prepare of seasoned salt.
- Prepare 4 cups of rice.
The Ramen Rater reviews Mama Pat's Seafood Gumbo – a cup variety from Chef Ron, an Let's check out this cup version! Mama Pat's Seafood Gumbo Flavor Instant Ramen Noodles – United. Seafood Gumbo With Seafood Broth, Peanut Oil, Bacon Fat, Flour, Onion, Green Bell Pepper, Celery Stalks, Jalapeno Peppers, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Chili Powder, Black Pepper, Dried Oregano. A secret to seafood gumbo, as passed down from Miss Eula, is to make it ahead of time, allowing the seafood to stand.
Mamma's Seafood Gumbo step by step
- Start of chicken prep: Cut 6 chicken breasts into small- to medium-sized chunks. Be sure to cut away fat. Rinse in cold water..
- Season chicken chunks with Chicken Rub..
- Place chicken in pot filled with 7 cups of water. Add 3 cubes of chicken bouillon. Bring to boil with medium heat on stovetop (degrees may vary based on stovetop). Add garlic powder and stir; season to taste. Cook for 30 minutes. End of chicken prep..
- Start of roux prep: Clean 5 sticks of celery in cold water. Cut roots and leaves..
- Grind celery in food processor, blender, or by hand (your preference)..
- Remove stem and seeds from bell pepper. Rinse in cold water..
- Grind bell pepper in food processor, blender, or by hand (your preference). Mix in with celery..
- Remove outer skin of yellow onion. Cut onion in half (use only one half)..
- Grind onion. Mix in with celery and bell pepper..
- Chop 2 cups of okra and add to blender with other vegetables.
- Add four (4) tablespoons of unsalted butter to skillet. Throw chopped vegetables to skillet to medium heat..
- Crush 10 Bay Leaves with hand. Add leaves to vegetables; stir in..
- Add 4 tablespoons of gumbo filé to vegetables; stir in..
- Add 1/2 cups of flour to vegetables; stir in..
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth from boiled chicken to vegetables; stir in. Cook for a total of 15 minutes. End of roux prep..
- Start of combining ingredients: Transfer chicken (with broth) and roux to stock pot; stir together..
- Add 6 WHOLE Bay leaves to pot..
- Add seasoned salt to taste..
- Add 1.5 teaspoons of salt to pot..
- Reduce heat to medium-low after 10 minutes..
- Cut Chappell Hill sausage link into thin individual pieces. Add to pot..
- Rinse ice from crabs with cold water. Add to pot..
- Rinse shrimp with cold water to remove ice. Add to pot..
- Add Crawfish tails to pot (if they're frozen blocks, that's ok; they will melt down)..
- Cook ingredients in stock pot for 1 hour and 30 minutes on medium-high heat. End of combining ingredients..
- Start of rice prep: Add 8 cups of water to a pot. Add 1 tablespoon of margarine. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat..
- Rinse 4 cups of rice with cold water for 30 seconds. Add to boiling water. Stir once. Reduce heat to medium after 5 minutes. Reduce to low heat after 15 minutes. Cook til water evaporates and rice is soft; approximately 20 minutes. End of rice prep..
- Serve gumbo over rice and enjoy!.
- BONUS 1: If you desire a stronger gumbo taste, mix in more gumbo filé until satisfied..
- BONUS 2: If you desire a more "gooey" texture, add about 1/2 pound of thinly sliced ocra to the roux..
Wild-Caught Seafood, Organic Chicken Organic Chicken & Organic Turkey Andouille Sausage USDA Approved. A recipe for seafood gumbo that contains oysters, crab, and shrimp in a spicy thick broth made This seafood gumbo takes some time, but is well worth the investment. First time I ordered from Mama's I wanted an oyster poboy and crab claws, but oysters and crab claws were not available. This place has a great variety of seafoods and soulfood and American platters. Seafood gumbo, packed with shrimp, oysters, red snapper, and, especially Louisiana blue crab, is a classic South Louisiana dish.