Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) – Lugaw w Brown Red Rice. Arroz Caldo literally means warm rice. This congee that closely resembles risotto has been a favorite Filipino snack. It can also be enjoyed anytime.
Arroz caldo is commonly served with calamansi. Arroz caldo typically uses glutinous rice (malagkit), but can also be made with regular rice boiled with an excess of water. ^ "Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) – Lugaw w Brown Red Rice". Arroz Caldo is a delicious Filipino chicken porridge made by cooking rice in chicken stock until it's thick and creamy. You can cook Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) – Lugaw w Brown Red Rice using 18 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) – Lugaw w Brown Red Rice
- Prepare 4 of small red onions, roughly chopped.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 of a chicken, in slices.
- It’s 1 of big knob ginger, sliced lengthwise.
- It’s 4-5 c of water.
- Prepare 1/2 of Chicken bullion or stock cube.
- It’s 1/4 of Beef bullion or stock cube (optional).
- It’s 1/2-3/4 c of brown & red rice (washed & mixed).
- You need 1 tsp of Turmeric powder.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
- It’s 1/2 of a deck-size pork belly for garnish, chopped (optional).
- It’s 2-3 cloves of garlic for garnish, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of thumb ginger for garnish, chopped (optional).
- It’s 1 of small red onion for garnish, chopped (substituted for scallions).
- It’s 2-3 of stems (not stalks) Celery with leaves for garnish (optional).
- Prepare 1 squeeze of kalamansi per bowl (garnish).
- It’s of Few drops chili oil (optional garnish for spiciness).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of cooking oil.
Redolent of ginger, and served with a sunny array of condiments such as Calamansi, boiled eggs, and crisp garlic, this classic comfort food is the perfect way to brighten up a dreary day. Bonus episode as requested by a fellow YouTuber! This recipe for chicken arroz caldo (also known as lugaw or congee) is a Filipino rice porridge. Arroz caldo is a hearty Filipino congee made with chicken and rice and seasoned with onion, garlic, ginger, and fish sauce and topped with crunchy fried garlic.
Turmeric Arroz Caldo (Filipino Chicken Congee w a Twist) – Lugaw w Brown Red Rice step by step
- Heat 1T oil in a sauce casserole pan. Add onions, then garlic. Sauté..
- Add the (salt generously) chicken pieces then cover. Let the juices come out, then turn on the other side. Season with pepper to taste..
- Note on ginger: if you're not fond of chewing ginger pieces in your dish, slice them big enough so you can remove them after cooking..
- Add the sliced ginger. In a cup of water, stir in the Turmeric and pour in. Drop in the bullion or stock cubes. Mix around then cover for a few minutes..
- Then add two more cups of water and pour in the washed rice. Cover and let the rice cook..
- Check your rice, check your seasoning. Add salt, stock cube, more water as desired..
- While the rice continues cooking, prepare your garnish. In a pan, heat the remaining oil. Sauté the chopped pork belly (optional, tastes great when sprinkled on top with garlic) and garlic until golden. I added ginger, as I'm fond of fried ginger, and also adds to the flavor. When crisp, but not burnt, remove and set aside..
- I ran out of scallions so I fried some chopped onions instead. Set aside. I also chopped up a couple stems of celery, adds a nice subtle freshness to the dish..
- When the rice is cooked, if it's too thick add a bit more water as desired. Mix well..
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle the fried garnishes and chopped celery or scallions on top. Add a squeeze of kalamansi or lemon/lime. Eat while hot. Enjoy. (In photo: I added chili powder on mine 😝).
- This is perfect for cold nights!.
The result is a quick, comforting bowl that's a perfect wintertime meal (and rivals chicken soup for its ability to sooth those suffering from a cold). This Filipino porridge dish features chicken wings and rice in chicken broth seasoned with onion, ginger, and garlic. I have also made arroz caldo with whole chicken pieces. Arroz Caldo is a hearty Filipino congee made with chicken and rice and seasoned with onion, garlic, ginger and fish sauce, topped with crunchy fried garlic. To many Filipinos, Arroz Caldo also known as "Lugaw", is a rice porridge recipe.