Chicken Ala King Pie. Classic Chicken a la King is rich and creamy and made from scratch. This easy dinner recipe is great served over rice, pasta, toast, or biscuits! Yes, you can freeze chicken a la king, but it is better if you eat it fresh.
It's a great way to use leftover chicken or turkey. Green pepper and red pimientos make this a pretty dish to serve at I was never a fan of Chicken A La King but my husband asked me to try making it. Do you feel it is better to have a layer of risotto and then the chicken and gravy on top OR do you feel it's better just to mix the chicken, gravy and risotto all together in the pie? You can cook Chicken Ala King Pie using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Ala King Pie
- It’s 1 cup of shredded cooked chicken breast.
- It’s 1 of whole onion finely chopped.
- It’s 1 pack of frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn and green peas).
- It’s 1 block of shredded quick melt cheese.
- It’s 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of all purpose cream.
- It’s 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes.
- You need 1 of large egg beaten.
Here is a pic of a slice my Chicken Ala King Risotto Pie. Chicken ala King is a classic comfort dish. Growing up, chicken ala king was usually served at rosaries, after the prayers were completed, of course. My daughter calls it chicken pot pie without the crust.
Chicken Ala King Pie step by step
- Sauté chopped onion in butter then add shredded chicken breast..
- Add frozen vegetables and sauté for another 2 minutes..
- Mix all purpose flour and all purpose cream and add to mixture. (You can replace cream with chicken stock if you don’t want it too creamy).
- Add cheese and turn off the heat when the cheese melts..
- Flatten the mixture in a butter greased baking dish..
- Top the dish with the mashed potato completely covering the top..
- Brush the mashed potato with egg wash and bake under 250 degrees for 10 to 15 mins or until the mashed potato turns golden brown..
I wouldn't say it's quite like chicken pot pie, however. Chicken Ala King is popular for catering for large numbers because it can be made in bulk and easily frozen for later use. Now a days you can buy it in a can and a variety of other ready-made options. Somehow I could never bring myself to try them. I love homemade and so my Chicken a la King.