Filipino Chicken Adobo with White Rice. Chicken Adobo is a type of Filipino chicken stew. Chicken pieces are marinated in soy sauce and spices, pan-fried, and stewed until tender. The best way to eat chicken adobo is to have it with warm white rice.
Sub with any clear vinegar, including rice wine, apple cider. Filipinos are known for delicious and unique tasting food almost always accompanied by white rice. Soy sauce and vinegar bring this traditional dish to life. You can cook Filipino Chicken Adobo with White Rice using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Filipino Chicken Adobo with White Rice
- You need of Chicken and marinade.
- It’s 1.5 lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves.
- You need 1/3 cup of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of + 2 tbs white vinegar.
- It’s 4 of bay leaves.
- You need of For cooking.
- It’s 2 tbs. of Canola oil.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 1 of small onion diced.
- Prepare 1.5 cups of water.
- You need 2 tbs. of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 tbs. of whole black pepper.
- You need of Toppings.
- You need 2 of green onions, sliced.
This Filipino Chicken Adobo is a garlicky flavorful main dish that's simple to make, and delicious! Chicken Adobo is a super delicious savory dish that's made with a rich and delicious sauce, the perfect combination of seasonings, and slowly braised chicken. Perhaps the most famous dish in the Filipino repertoire, chicken adobo has as many versions as there are cooks in the Philippines. Some recipes omit garlic, others add coconut milk, some feature brothy sauce, and others reduce that liquid to an intense glaze.
Filipino Chicken Adobo with White Rice step by step
- Combine Chicken and Marinade ingredients in a bowl. Marinate for at least 20 minutes, or up to overnight2 green onion, sliced.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over high heat. Remove chicken from marinade (reserve marinade) and place in the pan. Sear both sides until browned – about 1 minute on each side. Do not cook the chicken all the way through..
- Remove chicken skillet and set aside..
- Heat the remaining oil in skillet. Add garlic and onion, cook 1 1/2 minutes..
- Add the reserved marinade, water, sugar and black pepper. Bring it to a simmer then turn heat down to medium high. Simmer 5 minutes..
- Add chicken smooth side down. Simmer uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes (no need to stir), turning chicken at around 15 minutes, until the sauce reduces down to a thick jam-like syrup..
- If the sauce isn't thick enough, remove chicken onto a plate and let the sauce simmer by itself – it will thicken much quicker – then return chicken to the skillet to coat in the glaze..
- Coat chicken in glaze then serve over rice..
Adobo has many different connotations across various cultures, but in the Philippines, adobo refers to a whole dish and not a specific marinade or spice blend. Adobo Chicken is a classic Filipino recipe cooked in soy sauce, garlic, vinegar and peppercorns that makes the most delicious braised chicken ever. White Vinegar – I have tested this adobo recipe with rice vinegar, cane vinegar, apple cider vinegar and white wine vinegar and the classic version. Chicken Adobo is a Filipino chickenrecipe that is well loved by many people. It's an authentic adobo recipe and yields delicious and amazing results.